upandaway
V.5
Friday, November 9
posted by Bon
So I started watching Elementary (relax, it's only been three episodes as of writing this... hmm thinking of posting at a later date..) and it is basically another modern take of Sherlock Holmes. Why so many of these are cropping up everywhere I have no idea, maybe it's like that vampire frenzy because of twilight but this one because of the hot Robert Downey Junior. But regardless of why, comparisons between this and the BBC version have to be made. Of course, I am no expert, but anyway. Firstly the whole John Watson as Joan Watson immediately kills it for me because it just totally destroyed the whole heterosexual life partners dynamic that was the main attraction, and Lucy Liu is unfortunately more annoying and less adorable than Martin Freeman. Similarly, Benedict Cumberbatch is a significantly better Sherlock than Jonny Lee Miller although Miller is hotter, but then again Sherlock isn't supposed to be that hot..... Miller's Sherlock is more annoying than intriguing. Also, the setting: Sherlock just seems too contrasted to the New York City setting and it doesn't work. The way Watson was introduced to Holmes and her air somehow gives off a reluctance like she's only doing this because she's obligated, whereas John to Sherlock expresses his delight in following him around. Maybe they just didn't stress it emphatically enough at the end of the pilot of Elementary where Watson decides to stay on Holmes' case because it still didn't have the same enthusiasm. As in I cannot see these two becoming best friends (again, the opposite gender thing killed it. Not saying guys can't be best friends with girls! Just that... not Sherlock Holmes.) Also, I love absolutely love the quick wit and snark of the British and it's just lacking in American shows unfortunately. Now the cases. I can't help but feel like Elementary relies more on an M. Night Shyamalan twist than Sherlock's deductive inference skillz or maybe again, they are not showing enough, but it just doesn't compare. And there's no Moriarty and Mycroft (yet at least. And I cannot imagine as colourful as those characters introduced onto the New York scene. Also you kinda have to have a following to have an arch nemesis and I don't see Joan Watson writing a blog about Holmes [see enthusiasm]). The main redeeming quality is the opening sequence because I goddamn love those cause and effect obstacle not really courses where a ball travels down wire gutters and such and such I dunno, because they are fantastic. But. Overall, not as good. Regardless, I will still watch enjoyably as that is what I do and it is an alright show.
Speaking of, I have been watching an awful lot of TV shows as of late, perfect timing. It is, because I have so much time, but no because I shouldn't. Yeah... I finished all eight seasons of Hustle, a con show which is my absolute favourite genre but unfortunately not many good ones around. First couple seasons were allllllright didn't enjoy as much as the last couple might have been because they were finding their footing, because if i recall correctly, the first couple seasons were mainly straightforward cons while the last couple had more twists and back up plans. I love back up plans, much more interesting and clever than the original plans. Also the tricking law enforcement agents, I love them. The pilot was one of them, and was a great establishing episode for the series, though I think my favourite would have to be the finale of season 2. Or another one where they help out a nooby annoying liability friend. OR MAYBE my preference for the later seasons was because of a slight cast change where the annoyingly stupid-don't-know-how-he-gets-away-with-it Danny and overly flirtatious Stacie are replaced with hot Sean and hotter Emma. No seriously, Stacie especially annoyed me, she was played by that actress who was Lila in Dexter and I hated her. Ooh she was also in the first episode of another TV show I've watched:
The Finder. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Shame it was only thirteen eps but what can you do, one of the main actors died ):. It's a kinda spinoff of Bones in Miami and it is great. The main dude Walter is a kinda of Sherlock but friendlier and funnier and hot. There was also one of them 'cause and effect obstacle not really courses' mentioned previously, so YAY! The ending was frustrating ugh. Also, the episodes were out of order so that was annoying, because I didn't really understand the development of relationships in the given timeline, so I might maybe watch again to understand... maybe probably not. I don't really watch things again, unless I love them.
One thing I did watch twice was this week's ep of Greys the absolute best (or because you're probably reading in the future S09E03). I cannot understand how they manage to get your emotions to just creep up on you. For example, I was pissed at Arizona for being such a massive bitch to Callie even though yeah, I guess she had a reason, but I was not at all prepared for the tears to erupt at the shower scene. Callie crying and Arizona watching and realising omfg it was beautiful.
Also, super late to the party, but ROSE TYLER IS SO ANNOYING AND SELFISH AND STUPID AND UGLY AND COMMITS SO MANY [1]S!!!!! But no seriously, she gets all jealous whenever the Doctor so much as looks at another female but she goes around chatting up, kissing, inviting to the Tardis other boys and the Doctor's all chill. Then when Mickey leaves she's like "You can't! What if I need you!" Shut the fuck up stupid bitch ugh. I tell her that often. She is also super useless. She does nothing for the plot. Nothing. She just stands there staring all longingly when they're meant to be making a run for it, and the Doctor has to drag her away, the dumb bitch. I reckon it's that trope how when there are less than two female writers on the team the female lead is generally shallow and emotional and relationship driven. Ugh annoys me. Cannot wait for the next companion, hope she's better.
Yeah I'm done.
5:24 PM